miércoles, 6 de abril de 2011

Scotland, The Beautiful

First off, I wish I had more time in Scotland. I will return someday but for much longer.... and so it begins


Scotland 3.31.2011 – 4.3.2011

Alicante, España 3.31.2011
To get to Scotland, I had to fly to Alicante with an overnight stay. On my way, I had an hour conversation in Spanish with a girl who sat right next to me. Other than the fact that she was awfully nice, like most the random people I approach to converse with in Europe, it was nice to know my Spanish is finally getting on that level of where I can talk for so long with random people. There were a few moments of those¨what are you trying to say????¨ buttttt that´s why I have my mobile dictionary J

Oh ya, like a good student. I signed up for classes at 7 am here... aka 12:00 am in Lubbock. The morning and new trip awaits.

Edinburgh, Scotland
4.1.2011
I get to Scotland at 1:30. And first off, I must say how surprised I was to see stuff so cheap at the airport. For example, 4 rolls of Mentos at the airport was 1 pound, equivalent to 1.10 Euros. Now in Sevilla, only 1 roll of Mentos was 1.60 Euros..... that´s significantly cheaper.
By 3:00, I made it to see my friend Tori and she started showing me around town. We went close to George Street and Prince Street, and I had a nice, heafty burger. I haven´t had one that good in months... my stomaches was satisified..
Then we move on, looking at more venues. And this is how I describe Scotland:






You know the most beautiful people are those who are beautiful in and out, and all they offer is their humbleness. That´s what Scotland reminds me of. Unlike New York City, where the city would be just a concrete slab without the thousands of skyscrapers and Times Square, and unlike Houston where the city would just be a trees and marshy grass if it weren’t for the construction, and unlike Dubai where 15 years ago there was only sand storms to see.... the city of Scotland rests on pure beauty. There are points in the city where you can see a great bit of the country at a distance. What gets better is the people maintain the vintage look of Edinburgh. Everything looks so medeival with some of the coolest looking castles, schools, hotels, and streets I´ve ever seen. Even their abandoned school for deaf and blind children seems like a palace in itself. So that is my rundown of Edinburgh. I expected Lord of the Rings, but in return, I got a whole different type of Beauty.




After walking around, we went to Tori´s flat to rest and get ready for dinner. It was Tori´s early brithday party, and so we played a game called Mystery Murderer. It´s pretty much just like the episode from The Office... just with a bunch of Scottish accents. It was awesome J My character was Mike Tison.... and I was actually the murderer. No one guessed me too... hahaha.  Woot Woot!!!

That night we saw a bit of the night life. We ended up at a Piano Bar, which I´ve come to find out to be a very fun place no matter what mood you´re in. The pianist is always very good, and it´s always a chance to have a dab at some live blues if you need some.

4.2.2011
Tori took me sight- seeing as my professional tour guide. I got to see a guy in a quilt playing the bag pipes... succes!

We also walked up to the top of the castle to check out a sweet view.

We then walked down the Royal Mile to hit Parliament and Tori´s mom and siblings. Wiiiiiierd architecture. They tried to make the Parlaiemnt building look like a boat... cool idea, but meh, didn´t turn out so cool.

Later on, we went to this one hill where you could see all of Edinburgh and even further at a distance. You can see what is a 40 minute ride... which is basically the distance from Edinburgh to Glasgow. It was absolutely beauitful.

Later, we went to a good ol´superstore..... something else that I hadn´t seen in months. I bought Peanut Butter. Yes.... Peanut Butter was all.

We took a scenic view back to our flat. I was so lucky to have Tori´s family to show me around because I feel like I got the in´s & out´s of the locals. They showed me places like where J.K. Rowling lives, the ´upper class´ part of town, the high school they modeled Hogwrts after (Harriet), the school for deaf and blind children and more. It was too cool.

Once we got home, we ate, and I just go the chance to chill with them, share stories, and take it easy. It was nice, because I had a 48 hour bug beginning back in Sevilla, and by now I was feeling better by taking so many breaks.

Sunday 4.3.2011
We woke up early, and we went driving around Edinburgh again. We went to this one school.. i forgot the name... but apparently it is the boss school. It puts any other school to shame in academics and looks... I mean, it has Gargoyles. What school has Gargoyles???

Then we drove around a little more before we made it to the airport. I said my goodbyes, but Tori and her family come to Houston ever so often, so I´m sure I´ll see them soon.

I was supposed to oend my trip in Faro, Portugal, in which I realllly wanted to hith- hike back, but after a couple faults of my own and the airport, I missed another flight... once again. Note to those who travel with Ryan Air.... The captain has the option to leave 25 minutes early if most the passengers are boarded... that kind of screwed me over a little. Anyhow, if you´re really curious how I lost it, tell me, and I´ll email you. I´m just tired of explaining it is all.

I ended up getting a flight to Barcelona, and Barcelona to Sevilla. That night in Barcelona, I bought the internet package for the night and did homework until 3:00 am. It´s been a while since I´ve done that.

3.4.2011
After doing homework for so long, I had my flight for Sevilla at 5:55 am. I finally made it to the front of my door in Sevilla by 8:45... yet another week for school.

Some point that morning I realized that I was about to make a trip to that very same airport 2 more times that week in Barcelona. That kind of made me feel a little sick of traveling... but whatever.

Next week though, homework won´t be my intenerary in Barcelona.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario